Work at Atonement
We are looking for great people to partner with us in mission.
Director of Middle School Student Ministry
Status: Full Time, Exempt Position
Reports to: Teaching Pastor
The Director of Middle School Student Ministry will be responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing the Christian education program for students from sixth grade through ninth grade, including Sunday morning, mid-week programming, summer mission trips, and other events. This position will also collaborate with other staff for church-wide programs.
Success in this role will be determined by the following:
- Students experience a ministry environment that is life-giving, biblically rooted, and discipleship-oriented.
- The Student Ministry is at a point where people are excited to serve and support our youth.
- Families are inviting their friends.
- Students are growing in their spiritual depth.
- Empowering families to disciple their children at home.
- Recruit, train, empower, and support the confirmation small group leaders.
- Coordinate the confirmation program schedule, resources, yearly retreat, and programs.
- Work with the Teaching Pastor on the confirmation curriculum and teaching schedule.
- Plan, lead, and recruit students and leader for yearly mission trips along with the Senior High Director.
- Provide other events for students to connect with one another.
- Empower families of the students to grow in their faith.
- Oversee communication to the students and families.
A preference for a bachelor’s degree in a related field complemented with theological training and/or Bible training is highly preferable, but a strong desire to see the youth thrive is must. Furthermore, the successful candidate’s scope of experience will include the following:
- A fully devoted follower of Jesus Christ
- Heart for students and families
- Minimum 3 years experience in Student Ministry as a church staff member or volunteer leader
- Solid theological grounding, specifically in Lutheran denominational theology
- Ability to build, lead, and empower volunteer teams
- Ability to build relationships with leaders and families.
- Ability to adapt and evaluate curriculum
- Ability to implement and communicate a ministry vision
- Proficient in computer skills/applications, email, internet, and social media
- Excellent organization, communication (verbal and written) and listening skills, with a high degree of initiative and accountability
- Capability of teaching within Atonement’s statements of faith, core values and mission
- Shall be within six months after employment a full member of Atonement
- Regular worship attendance at Atonement Lutheran Church (up to 6 Sundays off per year)
Compensation and benefits to be determined based on qualifications.
This job description provides a summary of the primary duties of the position, it is not a complete list or description and the job will evolve to meet changing circumstances. All Atonement staff members are required to comply with the mission, policies and procedures of Atonement Lutheran Church.